Belfast Telegraph

Man to stand trial accused of trying to kill escort 'he tied up and raped'

By Paul Higgins

A Co Down man has been ordered to stand trial accused of trying to murder an escort he allegedly tied up, suffocated and raped.

Gary Doak (48) appeared before Banbridge Magistrates Court, sitting in Newry, yesterday facing charges of the attempted murder of his alleged victim, whom he is also alleged to have sexually assaulted and raped.

Doak, from Dickson Park, Seapatrick, faces 13 counts including three each of rape, sexual assault and common assault, and single counts of false imprisonment, causing actual bodily harm and attempted rape, all alleged to have been committed on March 9 this year.

None of the facts were opened before District Judge Paul Copeland yesterday, but previous court hearings were told that Doak paid the woman £200 to come to his home, but he became aggressive and tied her up with cable ties and gagged her with a sock.

Fully bound, Doak allegedly carried her to the bedroom where, on the Crown case, he forced her to perform sex acts and raped her before placing a plastic bag over her head.

During an unsuccessful bail application by Doak, a prosecuting lawyer told the court how the "injured party described that she felt she was fighting for her life and she thought she was going to die".

The lawyer added: "She was wondering what he was going to do with her body after he killed her."

During the struggle a hole developed in the bag and she managed to struggle free and run to the kitchen, where she armed herself with a knife, and during the ensuing struggle each inflicted bite marks on the other.

Doak is alleged to have told the woman that he panicked after he suffered "flashbacks from the war", and when his house was searched after his arrest police officers uncovered a number of bondage DVDs.

Arrested and interviewed, Doak claimed the sexual encounter had been consensual after the alleged victim agreed to bondage-style sex, but that she became aggressive and attacked him.

In court yesterday the lawyer for the Public Prosecution Service submitted there was a prima facie case for Doak to answer and as there were no contrary defence submissions, Judge Copeland said he was satisfied there was sufficient evidence to return the case to the Crown Court.

Doak was offered the opportunity to give evidence to the court or call witnesses on his behalf but he declined the chance, opting instead to remain silent.

Remanding Doak back into custody, Judge Copeland ordered him to appear before Newry Crown Court on February 9 for his arraignment, and extended legal aid to allow a senior barrister to be instructed.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph