Man who raped teen girls after luring them to his apartment sentenced to 13 years in jail
A 43-year-old man who violently raped two young women after luring them back to his flat has been handed a 13-year sentence for the "shocking and alarming" incident.
Orhan Kibar - who is originally from Turkey and has been living in Northern Ireland since 2005 - was convicted earlier this year of raping the women in the early hours of November 24, 2017.
The women, who were 18 and 19 at the time, met Kibar outside Queen's Students' Union. He invited them back to his flat, where he attacked and raped one in his bathroom before turning his attention to her friend.
Judge Paul Ramsey QC praised both victims for the "resourcefulness and courage" they displayed which brought their attacker to justice, telling Kibar that on the evening in question he was clearly seeking sex with someone, whether they consented or not.
The judge said Kibar "deliberately targeted these two girls he knew were vulnerable by reason of their intoxication", adding "once they agreed to go to his flat, their fate was sealed".
Despite his conviction, Kibar has maintained his innocence and continues his assertion that his two victims approached him on the street and invited themselves back to his flat for a 'sex party'.
Kibar also maintains that all the sexual activity was not only consensual but was instigated by the two women.
His barrister Ken McMahon said that since his conviction, Kibar had spoken to the probation service about what happened and that he expressed differences in culture and spoke of "the way girls here dress and behave and drink".
It also emerged that a probation officer spoke of Kibar's sense of entitlement, and concluded: "There will not be one word of regret, apology or shame from this man to at least provide some crumb of comfort to his victims."
Belfast Crown Court heard the probation service assessed Kibar as presenting a significant danger to the public, with a high likelihood of him re-offending.
Kibar's version of events was rejected by a jury, who unanimously convicted him of three counts of rape and one count of false imprisonment.
During the two-week trial, the jury heard that after encountering the friends outside the Students' Union at Queen's University, Belfast at around 1.30am, he invited them back to his Russell Court flat on Claremont Street, where he claimed a party was taking place. There was no party and, once inside the property, the 19-year-old soon fell asleep, while the 18-year-old was offered a cigarette.
The 18-year-old went to the bathroom and, when she was on the toilet, Kibar followed her in and locked the door. He was aggressive, there was a lengthy struggle and he raped and imprisoned her in the bathroom, in an ordeal which lasted around half an hour.
She was finally able to flee and make her escape from the flat when she bit him on the hand.
As she was fleeing, she didn't see her friend in the living room and ran onto the street. By chance, she bumped into someone she knew and, in a distressed state, she described what had just happened and the police were called. Meanwhile, inside the flat Kibar had turned his attention to her sleeping friend, who was woken with him on top of her, raping her, in his bedroom. She told Kibar she needed to go to the toilet and, after a few minutes, he let her go to the bathroom.
As she stepped out, a now naked Kibar pushed her back into the bathroom and, during a struggle, he broke one of her fingers. He then held her down and raped her a second time, before she managed to escape.
As she was fleeing the apartment, she encountered police officers alerted by her friend. She was able to point them to Kibar's flat, where he was arrested.
During the trial, Kibar denied hurting them, said the sexual activity was consensual, and when asked about the bite to his hand, he said this was down to "rough sex" with the 18-year-old.
Since arriving in the UK aged 29, the court heard Kibar had been diagnosed with a range of mental health issues, but did not always take his medication.
Branding Kibar's actions "callous", Crown prosecutor Charles MacCreanor QC said he was violent and raped both women "despite their obvious distress".
Defence barrister Ken McMahon QC branded as "inaccurate" claims that Kibar targeted the women deliberately and instead suggested he was out "looking for people he could befriend".
Pointing out that Kibar had no criminal record or history of violence and sexual assault, Mr McMahon spoke of a difference of culture, and said "prison will give him time to reflect that what he did that night was very, very wrong and he must not do it again".
Passing sentence, Judge Ramsey noted Kibar's "deluded thinking about women" and said he displayed a "determination" to have sex that night, with or without consent, describing his behaviour as "cold and collected".
Kibar was handed a 13-year sentence, with a three-year extended licence period imposed. He was also made the subject of a 10-year Sexual Offences Prevention Order and will be on the Sex Offenders' Register indefinitely.
The two young victims were praised for their bravery in bringing their attacker to justice.
Detective Sergeant Graeme McArthur, from PSNI's Public Protection Branch, said: "Rape is one of the most serious of crimes and this prolonged attack by Kibar on two young women would have been terrifying. It will undoubtedly have a significant and lasting impact on them.
"Both victims displayed tremendous courage in coming forward to police.
"Seeing a case such as this through the criminal justice system can be daunting, particularly as Kibar pled not guilty, but detectives in PSNI's Public Protection Branch support victims and thoroughly investigate these types of offences."
Welcoming the sentence, Mr McArthur continued: "While this will not undo what Kibar did to these two young females, he is now in custody for his crimes.
"I hope this will encourage other victims to report offences to police and be assured that we will treat you with the utmost professionalism and sensitivity."