Belfast Telegraph

McCrory murder: Fugitive Kieran McLaughlin wanted in connection with killing is arrested

A fugitive wanted in connection with the murder of Londonderry man Barry McCrory has been arrested in the city following a week-long cross-border search

It's understood the police operation in the Galliagh area of the city is continuing this morning following the arrest of Kieran McLaughlin.

Houses in the area have been evacuated as officers continue their searches.

Police on both sides of the Irish border had been hunting the 58-year-old for seven days.

He is a suspect in the murder of Barry McCrory (35) who was shot dead in a city centre flat last Thursday.

McLaughlin was arrested by police in the Galliagh area of Derry at around 3am.

It is understood he was armed, but no shots were fired during the arrest operation.

Mr McCrory was shot by a lone gunman inside the flat he shared with his partner on Shipquay Street. She was bundled into another room in the apartment before the fatal shots were fired.

McLaughlin's family had urged him to hand himself to the authorities.

The six-hour operation that culminated with the arrest began in the Republic yesterday evening when Mr McLaughlin was spotted in a silver car in Co Donegal.

Gardai followed the vehicle until it crossed over the border into Northern Ireland, when the PSNI took over.

The car was subsequently abandoned and another vehicle was taken.

At around 3am Mr McLaughlin was found behind a car parked in a garden in the Fern Park area of Londonderry.

PSNI Chief Inspector Andy Lemon said the operation had been "tricky, lengthy and high-pressured".

"This has been going on for seven days," he said.

"There's been an awful lot of officers deployed. I am just glad we were able to bring this to a successful conclusion and there were no shots fired and there was no one hurt."

The senior officer told Radio Foyle: "It was a constant operation, constant movement, constant follow-ups through the whole area, it was high pressure."

Mr Lemon said a follow-up operation was going on to establish whether there were further firearms in the vehicles involved.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph