Belfast Telegraph

Murder accused mother 'disgusted' that battered Owen was dumped in bin

By Ashleigh McDonald

A mother accused of jointly murdering a Lurgan man then dumping his body in a wheelie bin told police that she was "disgusted" by what happened to the victim and she "wouldn't like that done" to her son.

Following her arrest for the July 2014 murder of Owen Creaney, Shaunean Boyle denied involvement in the brutal beating and in helping to squash Mr Creaney's remains inside a wheelie bin.

She also told police she was "sorry for" Mr Creaney's family, but insisted she was not involved and said: "I swear on my child's life that I didn't do it."

Boyle (25), from Edenderry Park in Banbridge, is standing trial with Stephen Thomas Hughes (29) for the murder of Mr Creaney, who sustained a fatal beating in the hallway of Hughes's Moyraferty Court home in Craigavon.

The jury at Belfast Crown Court has already heard it took Mr Creaney two days to die from the fatal chest and head wounds he sustained in the early hours of July 3 2014.

Boyle and Hughes have admitted being present when Mr Creaney was attacked, but both blame each other for the violence that claimed the man's life.

Yesterday, the court heard police interviews with Boyle in the direct aftermath of the murder in which she denied being involved in the attack, helping in a clean-up operation and helping to put the deceased in the wheelie bin, claiming she "wouldn't have the nerve to do it."

Under earlier questioning at Antrim serious crime suite, Boyle said that she was "gob-smacked" when Hughes informed her that Mr Creaney had died in an upstairs bedroom.

When she was asked by police about the victim being placed in the bin, she replied: "The man's dead. I felt disgusted. The fella was my friend. I wouldn't like that done to my son."

When she was asked whether or not her and Hughes discussed burning Mr Creaney's remains after he died, Boyle answered: "No. I wouldn't let him burn him. That's just wrong."

Boyle was also asked about what cleaning she did in Hughes's house on the morning of Saturday July 5, 2014 - the day of her arrest and the day the body was found in the bin. She claimed that she had been giving Hughes a hand to clean his house, but also denied this was a clean-up operation that was designed to get rid of any possible forensic evidence.

The jury also heard Boyle's reaction while being interviewed by police when she was informed of Hughes's version of events.

He has already admitted being at home when Mr Creaney was attacked, but he has claimed it was Boyle who administered the fatal beating.

He also claimed that he and Boyle both placed Mr Creaney in the bin - a claim she denies.

When Boyle was asked by police what her reaction was to Hughes's allegations, she described his claims as "pure lies" and said she was "disgusted."

She also told police she was "sorry" for Mr Creaney's family, and said that had she known his injuries were so serious, she would have "got him to the hospital". At hearing.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph