Belfast Telegraph

Murder case suspect now living under death threat

A 35-year-old Belfast man whose car was allegedly used in a murder in which a second man was seriously injured, is himself now living under a death threat, the city's Crown Court has heard.

Solicitor Gabriel Ingram also revealed that in recent weeks Peter Greer had been “viciously assaulted” outside Bangor police station when he went to sign his bail.

Mr Ingram told judge Stephen Fowler QC that Greer, from Mountcollyer Avenue, Belfast, had been given a ‘threat notice' by the PSNI outlining that his life is in danger.

Prosecutor Philip Henry said that Greer — who must live at an address in Bangor as part of his bail conditions — has to sign his bail three times every week by 7pm, and whilst he acknowledged there was a threat against him, that was not grounds for altering his bail signing conditions. However, Mr Ingram said the issue was not in the actual signing, but the time of day in which he has to be at Bangor police station as he “could be easily targeted”.

The solicitor said all Greer was asking was for his “window of opportunity to sign his bail be extended for his safety”.

Judge Fowler said he would widen the window when Greer has to sign his bail by four hours, but that all other bail conditions would remain unchanged.

Greer, who gave himself up to police a month after the shooting, denies the murder of 56-year-old Duncan Morrison and the attempted murder of Stephen Ritchie on May 13, 2011.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph