Murder suspect’s ‘trauma’ over extradition fight
A former journalist yesterday claimed he has been unable to live a normal life after being implicated in the unsolved murder of a Frenchwoman 14 years ago.
Ian Bailey said he had suffered huge trauma since he was arrested over the killing of film maker Sophie Toscan du Plantier in |Ireland.
Mr Bailey is fighting extradition to France, where he is wanted for questioning over the violent death of the 39-year-old from Paris. Lawyers for Mr Bailey (53) told the High Court in Dublin there was “no evidence” against their client and the request by French authorities for his extradition was “an insult to the Irish State”.
Absent in court were any members of Sophie Toscan du Plantier's family, who arrived in the country on Wednesday, ahead of the |anniversary of her death.
Mr Bailey's barrister Martin Giblin claimed the French |authorities never formally contacted his client and were playing a game of “cat and mouse”.
Mr Bailey had participated in the Irish criminal process and took legal advice from a prominent solicitor.
Mr Giblin said his client had been under the impression that the DPP had made the decision not to prosecute as far back as 1997 but counsel for the State, Robert Barron, said the DPP had only taken this decision this year.
Mr Bailey had been “getting on with his life” and news of the French proceedings came as “a great shock,” said Mr Giblin.
“We can't go on year after year, decade after decade, torturing people with the criminal process.”
The hearing continues.