Belfast Telegraph

Murdered man found dumped in wheelie bin was showered after violent attack, court told

By Alan Erwin

A murder victim found dumped in a wheelie bin was showered after being subjected to a violent assault, the High Court heard.

Police also believe the house in which Lurgan man Owen Creaney was beaten to death had been cleaned by the time searches were carried out, prosecutors said.

Details emerged as bail was refused to a woman jointly accused of carrying out the killing in Craigavon, Co Armagh.

Shauneen Boyle (23), of Edenderry Park, Banbridge, denies a charge of murdering Mr Creaney sometime between July 4-5.

The 40-year-old's body was discovered on Saturday in a bin outside the Moyraverty Court home of Boyle's co-accused, 27-year-old Stephen Hughes. Post-mortem examinations revealed Mr Creaney, described as frail and vulnerable, died from severe chest injuries and possible head injuries.

Boyle and Hughes were both interviewed more than 20 times and each blame the other for the killing, the court heard.

Prosecuting counsel Stephanie Boyd said police went to the Moyraverty Court address and asked permission to search it.

Officers spotted blood on the walls and believed the property had been recently cleaned, she said.

It was alleged that Boyle later informed police they should look in the bin where the body was ultimately found.

Following her arrest she claimed to have provided care and assistance to Mr Creaney by visiting him and offering water, the court heard.

But Mrs Boyd said no professional medical assistance was sought. She revealed that a witness in the investigation has claimed Boyle confessed to having "gone mad" by punching and kicking the victim.

Questioned by the judge about the state of forensic evidence, the barrister claimed it was limited because Mr Creaney had been showered at the time the injuries were inflicted.

The court also heard the victim may have lay in bed for up to 48 hours after the attack. Refusing bail, Lord Chief Justice Sir Declan Morgan said: "There's a prima facie case in relation to her involvement in this crime, and there's clear and demonstrable evidence of a risk of violent activities if she were to be released from custody."

Earlier this week a photograph emerged of the murdered Lurgan man taken just hours before he was allegedly killed by the man standing next to him.

On the night the image was captured last week Mr Creaney was attacked and left for two days to die. The picture of Mr Creaney and one of the accused – 27-year-old Stephen Hughes – was taken by 23-year-old co-accused Boyle on the night police believe the attack occurred. Boyle, the mother of a 14-month-old baby, posted the photograph of Mr Creaney and Hughes on her Facebook page on Thursday evening.

The High Court hearing came on the same day the funeral of Mr Creaney – who was described as a "dearly loved son" – took place in St Peter's Church in his home town of Lurgan.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph