Belfast Telegraph

Neighbours' shock as mum dies in gas poisoning in Tyrone home

Scene of suspected gas leak
Scene of suspected gas leak
Klaudija Antaine, who lives on Drum Road
The window of the house

By Allan Preston

The neighbours of a Cookstown woman who died in a gas leak have been left in a state of shock.

The victim, who was aged in her 60s, was named locally as Susan Henry from Drum Road in the Co Tyrone town.

Fire crews were called to a carbon monoxide incident at her terraced house at around 7am.

Paramedics were already on the scene treating a man and a woman, believed to be the victim's husband and daughter, who were transferred to Craigavon Area Hospital.

It's understood Mrs Henry's husband Desmond, who is in his 70s, is in a stable condition. Police are not treating the death as suspicious and a post-mortem examination is due to be carried out.

The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service passed on its sympathy to the family.

A spokesman said: "Firefighters using gas monitors took gas readings from inside the property which found significant levels of carbon monoxide, and ventilated the property.

"Gas readings were also taken from adjacent houses and two properties were evacuated for a short time as a precaution."

Neighbour Klaudija Antaine (20) said she was startled yesterday morning when emergency services arrived outside her door.

"I was woken up by all these sirens," she said.

"I looked out my window and saw three fire engines and ambulances. They were here for about five hours before they left.

"It was just awful, there were sirens and people crying and screaming. It was so hectic.

"I didn't leave the house as I didn't want to disturb them.

"My neighbour came over and told me there was a carbon monoxide leak and an older woman had passed away and the husband was taken to hospital.

"The fireman came to my door as well to make sure the gas hadn't passed through, but we were OK."

Ms Antaine has lived on the street for a year and had often seen Mrs Henry out walking her terrier.

"They're a really nice family and this is just so sad," she said.

Another neighbour across the street was returning from work yesterday evening and had only just heard the news.

"She was a really lovely woman, I'm so sorry to hear this," she said. "They kept themselves to themselves but they were very pleasant people.

"We had thought it was a house fire initially, but we did see a window was taken out of the house and we guessed it was a gas leak."

She added that Mrs Henry had suffered from poor health including breathing difficulties.

Local UUP councillor Trevor Wilson said: "The entire community is shocked at the news that a woman has died due to a carbon monoxide leak in the Drum Road area of the town.

"I understand that two other people were also affected and I wish them a speedy recovery. This is a terrible tragedy and my deepest sympathies go out to the woman's family and friends."

For safety advice for carbon monoxide visit or call 080 0032 0121.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph