Nephew of Dana died of carbon monoxide poisoning
The nephew of former Eurovision winner Dana was killed by carbon monoxide poisoning, it’s been confirmed.
Killian Scallon, a father-of-two in his 50s, was found dead at his home in Co Fermanagh on Wednesday.
The property salesman’s wife Pauline, who was also found collapsed in the house, was last night still fighting for her life in the Royal Victoria Hospital.
Yesterday officials from the Health and Safety Executive were at the house on the Kesh Road, about two miles outside Irvinestown, offering technical advice to PSNI and Fire Service investigators working to establish the source of the poisoning.
A post-mortem examination was carried out on Mr Scallon’s body which found high levels of carbon monoxide in his blood.
At Mr Scallon’s family home, across the road from where he and his wife lived, a steady stream of friends and neighbours from the close-knit rural community called to offer their support to grieving relatives, including his sisters Louise and Siobhan who discovered his body.
No one from the immediate family wished to speak about the tragedy.
Meanwhile, speaking to the Belfast Telegraph yesterday, Dana — whose real name is Rosemary Scallon — said the family were shocked and devastated by the tragedy.
“Everybody is totally shocked — Killian was just a really lovely person,” she said.
Dana said the family were being comforted as they await news of Mr Scallon’s critically ill wife.
“We’re just praying for Pauline that she will get through this,” she added.
Among those offering condolences was Assembly minister and Fermanagh native Arlene Foster.
“I want to express my sincere sympathy to the family and friends of Mr Killian Scallon and wish Mrs Scallon a full recovery,” the minister said.
There has been much speculation about the source of the carbon monoxide poisoning, with reports of an ash residue and smoky smell filling the house.
Yesterday all the windows at the two-storey property had been opened.
Mr Scallon’s Requiem Mass will take place at Sacred Heart Church in Irvinestown at 11am tomorrow.