Belfast Telegraph

No bail address yet for girl (14) accused of stabbing friend

A teenage girl who is accused of stabbing her friend in the neck will apply for bail again in two weeks' time, her lawyer has said
A teenage girl who is accused of stabbing her friend in the neck will apply for bail again in two weeks' time, her lawyer has said

By Paul Higgins

A teenage girl who is accused of stabbing her friend in the neck will apply for bail again in two weeks' time, her lawyer has said.

The 14-year-old appeared at Craigavon Magistrates Court yesterday from custody.

Her solicitor said there was no suitable bail address at present, but that one may be forthcoming.

He asked District Judge Bernie Kelly to adjourn the case for two weeks for a potential application to free the teenager on bail.

The accused, who cannot be identified due to her age, is in custody charged with inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent and possessing a knife at Dean's Walk in Lurgan on Good Friday, April 19.

She first appeared in court on Easter Monday. At that stage the court heard how the 15-year-old victim had to undergo lifesaving surgery after her carotid artery was severed by a knife, leaving her with what medics fear will be life-changing injuries.

Giving evidence earlier this week, a detective constable told the court how police received a 999 call at around 9pm on Good Friday "that a girl had been stabbed in the neck with blood everywhere... and the reporting person named the defendant as the person responsible".

While the victim was rushed to hospital by ambulance, initially to Craigavon Area Hospital before being transferred to the Royal Victoria in Belfast due to her deteriorating condition, the defendant was "collected by her mother following a phone call".

The officer claimed that during the call the girl said "she had stabbed the victim".

She appeared at Lurgan PSNI station a short time later but the detective told the court she had changed her clothes since the incident, adding that "blood-stained clothing was seized from her mother's car" along with her mobile phone.

The victim, the officer added, had to undergo lifesaving surgery but has since been moved from the intensive care unit to a ward.

The detective said the defendant, when interviewed by police, "admitted that she had a knife while this fight took place" but claimed she had it "concealed up her sleeve and she accidentally caused the injury to her neck".

Yesterday Judge Kelly remanded the teenager back into custody to appear again in court on May 10.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph