Northern Ireland A&E damaged after 'hospital bed fire'
Part of the A&E department at Craigavon Hospital was damaged on Tuesday morning amid reports a hospital bed caught fire.
The Southern Health and Social Care Trust confirmed that there was an incident but no patients or staff were harmed.
Armagh I reports that police and fire crews attended the incident shortly after 7am.
Part of Craigavon Area Hospital Emergency Dept. was damaged in an incident this morning but no patients or staff were harmed. ED remains open today but the affected area remain closed. This incident will impact waiting times & people should only come if they need emergency care— Southern Trust (@SouthernHSCT) July 16, 2019
One eye-witness told the news website: “I’m in the hospital at the minute and the whole A&E has been evacuated.
"Some fella set the bed on fire in the room in front of our cubicle.”
He added: “Smoke filled the entire floor and flames were as high as far as I could see.”
The fire service were call to the hospital at 6.48am after reports of a fire.
Two appliances were sent. The fire was out on arrival of the crews and no action was taken.
Upper Bann UUP posted on social media: "Shocked to hear this news this morning!
"Our NHS staff are under immense pressure as it is.
"Thankfully nobody was hurt but unfortunately the damaged area will remain closed which will add to the waiting time in A&E - please only go to the hospital if you require emergency care."
The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service has been contacted for comment.
Belfast Telegraph Digital