Storm Gareth will bring potentially destructive weather to Northern Ireland over the next 24 hours, the Met Office has said.
It has issued a yellow warning, which is in place from 3pm today until 3pm tomorrow.
Travel disruption and power cuts are also possible, forecasters warned.
The winds will start to strengthen this afternoon, with gusts of around 50-60mph expected, hitting 70mph in the north-west.
More severe gusts are expected to move in this evening, with speeds of 55-65mph expected inland, reaching up to 80mph (130km/h) towards the north-west and north coast.
The warning covers not only Northern Ireland but much of the Republic, England, Wales and parts of Scotland.
A Met Office tweet said: "#StormGareth will bring strong winds across Northern Ireland through Tuesday afternoon into Wednesday, bringing the risk of damage to buildings, flying debris, large waves, power cuts and travel disruption."
The storm, which is being caused by a deep area of low pressure, was named by Met Eireann and is the third named storm so far this year, following Storm Erik in February and Freya earlier this month.
Met Eireann has issued a "Status Orange" warning - the second highest level - for much of the Republic, particularly counties Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim, and Mayo.
Forecasters say that the winds are expected to gradually ease throughout tomorrow, but it will still be quite windy, with a risk of disruption.
Further wet and windy spells are expected into the weekend.