Belfast Telegraph

Northern Ireland mother Comrie Cullen found stabbed to death in remote car park in Australia had restraining order against her husband

By Rebecca Black

A Northern Irish mother-of-three murdered in a frenzied knife attack in Australia had taken a restraining order out against her estranged husband, police have said.

New South Wales Police also revealed that there had been some domestic incidents reported to officers after Comrie Cullen (nee Waters) and her husband Christopher separated.

Ms Cullen was discovered by a member of the public slumped by a car with stab wounds to her neck in a fishing club's remote car park on the outskirts of Sydney.

Christopher Cullen (50) was found by police with wounds to his body coming out of a nearby swamp.

Last night members of the Waters family from Bangor, Co Down, were understood to be preparing to make the long trip to Australia to take care of 39-year-old Ms Cullen's three young children, aged five, seven and 11 years old.

"Our family is devastated by Comrie's tragic death and we would ask for no media intrusion at this time," the family said in a statement.

A PSNI spokeswoman said specially trained officers were providing support to the family.

Police here have also been in contact with the authorities in New South Wales in relation to the investigation into Comrie's death and arrangements for repatriation are being made.

Ms Cullen is understood to have been living in Sydney for several years. She had been married to Liverpool-born carpentry business owner Christopher for around 15 years.

Last night Mr Cullen remained at St George's Hospital in Sydney under police guard. He had self-inflicted injuries to his wrists and chest which are not believed to be life-threatening.

The couple had been living in the Sylvania Waters suburb but separated last October.

It is understood that Ms Cullen left her husband, taking their three children and moving to nearby Sutherland. She had been working part-time as a beauty therapist.

Superintendent Gregory Antonjuk of New South Wales Police said he would not speculate on how the couple came to be at the angling club carpark which he described as "somewhat secluded".

It is around 3km from where they had been living.

"There is limited access. How they gained access to that area is still part of the investigation and we are calling on any witnesses that may have any information with respect of seeing them," he said.

Supt Antonjuk added that the discovery of Ms Cullen's body had been distressing for emergency workers who have been offered counselling.

"I have spoken with the investigators and staff, and obviously with the circumstances of Wednesday afternoon they will be getting counselling," he said.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph