Belfast Telegraph

Northern Ireland town reopens after gas cylinder shed catches fire- man injured

A shed containing a number of gas cylinders has caught fire in Castledawson, requiring the town be shut down for a period of time.

The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue (NIFRS) was called to deal with the incident in the Co Londonderry town at 12.14pm.

Fire crews from Magherafelt and Maghera extinguished the fire and are in the process of cooling and assessing the acetylene cylinder.

A NIFRS spokesperson said: "Some homes have been evacuated and a police cordon is in place.

“One man suffered minor burns and ambulance service was also at the scene.”

It is understood the closures are expected to remain in place for a number of hours.

The town's Main Street was closed to traffic at its junction with New Row, Station Road and Moyola Avenue.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph