Belfast Telegraph

Northern Ireland woman (77) rescued from early morning bedroom fire

A 77-year-old woman has been rescued from a bedroom fire in her Co Down home.

The blaze erupted at around 4.30am on Wednesday in the woman's Rostrevor detached bungalow.

Using breathing apparatus, firefighters entered the property to rescue the woman.

She suffered slight smoke inhalation and was treated at the scene by paramedics before being taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.

The incident is being treated as accidental.

The woman was alerted to the fire by her smoke alarm and was able to call the emergency services by using her personal alarm.

Fortunately she had just received advice on fire prevention and safety from an off-duty firefighter. By following his advice, such as lying on the floor, the lady was able to stay safe until rescue arrived.

"This advice, combined with the personal alarm alert system, has ultimately saved her life," said Station Commander, Robert McCracken.

“At this time of year it’s more crucial than ever that we check in with our older family and friends and those who are more ‘at risk’ in our community. 

"Please ensure they have a working smoke alarm, check their home for Christmas fire hazards and advise them of steps they can take to help ‘STOP’ fire in their home. 

"If you are worried about the fire safety of someone in your community you can register them for a free Home Fire Safety Check by visiting our website”. 

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph