Belfast Telegraph

Nothing found after report suspect bomb left at republican memorial in Armagh

By Steven Alexander

Police were last night investigating reports that a suspect device had been left at a republican memorial in south Armagh.

Officers sealed off roads in the Silverbridge area and a bomb disposal team was seen at a hunger strike memorial at Ford's Cross.

The memorial is close to Silverbridge Gaelic Football Club, which several hundred people were using last night. Police were searching fields and properties close to a day care centre at Ford's Cross and the operation was still ongoing late last night.

It is understood that the PSNI and the club co-operated to ensure that people could leave.

Others moved to a pitch further away from the centre of the alert, and the club continued activities in the building.

A senior club source said the operation had been "civilised" and there had been "great co-operation with the local police".

It comes after a spate of attacks on memorials in the area. On Saturday, Newry and Armagh Sinn Fein MLA Megan Fearon said the attacks took place overnight at the hunger strikes memorials at Ford's Cross, at Meigh village, and on the Newry A1 bypass.

On Wednesday morning police said after "extensive" searches nothing untoward found.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph