Belfast Telegraph

'One punch' victim wants Australian court to drop case against brother Barry Lyttle

By Chris Kilpatrick

A Co Antrim man who was nearly killed when his brother allegedly felled him with a single punch has called for the prosecution to be dropped, saying he loves his brother and just wants to go home.

Patrick Lyttle was in a coma for almost a week after an alleged single punch by his brother Barry during a holiday in Australia.

Thirty-one-year-old Patrick was on life support at St Vincent's Hospital in Sydney while Barry (33) was charged in court with reckless grievous bodily harm.

At Downing Centre Local Court in Sydney yesterday, Patrick urged prosecutors to drop the case against his sibling.

Defence lawyers told the court Patrick would not experience any lasting effects as a result of the incident.

Walking alongside Barry and their father, Patrick said: "I'm very well at the moment thanks, very well."

"We're just hoping that in a couple of weeks' time this can all get a whole lot better and we can all go home as a family."

When asked whether he continued to support his brother, Patrick: replied "Of course, why wouldn't I be? He's my brother".

He said of the legal action against Barry: "It should not be [pursued], we love each other to bits."

Patrick arrived at court wearing a beanie hat which hid any sign of the head injury allegedly inflicted when his brother punched him in the early hours of January 3.

Last month members shared pictures on social media of the men leaving hospital together, Barry with his arm around his brother.

They were inundated by hundreds of messages of support from well-wishers back in Northern Ireland.

Family members including the men's sisters travelled to Australia following the incident.

The pair had been reunited in Sydney after Patrick was understood to have been travelling round the country.

Their father Oliver also arrived for a visit.

But Barry Lyttle was arrested and charged after allegedly punching Patrick at about 3am on Saturday, January 3 in Sydney's Kings Cross nightclub district.

Pictures at the scene showed Barry crying while paramedics treated his stricken sibling.

Their father previously said that the brothers "have loved each other from when they were kids".

Police had previously described the incident as a "family tragedy" and Detective Superintendent Michael Fitzgerald said the "pain in their father's eyes was indescribable".

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph