Belfast Telegraph

Over 2,000 Northern Ireland drivers miss MoT tests in June despite backlog

More than 2,000 people failed to turn up for MoT tests in Northern Ireland last month, despite a large backlog
More than 2,000 people failed to turn up for MoT tests in Northern Ireland last month, despite a large backlog
Lauren Harte

By Lauren Harte

More than 2,000 people failed to turn up for MoT tests in Northern Ireland last month, despite a large backlog.

The Department for Infrastructure (DfI) said more than 2,300 people missed appointments, with drivers spending over £70,000 on tests they didn't show up for.

DfI urged people unable to attend to cancel their appointment in order to free the space for another motorist. It has said there will be no leniency for drivers who are unable to secure a test in time with additional Sunday appointments running over the summer, alongside an increase in the recruitment of staff at centres.

It emerged last month that drivers were facing waits of up to 47 days after an increase of around 15,000 applications for tests in the first three months of this year.

The trend has continued into the summer, with many drivers at risk of breaking the law by driving without a valid vehicle certificate due to being unable to secure an appointment.

SDLP infrastructure spokeswoman Sinead Bradley will meet with DVA chief executive Paul Duffy today to again press for an exemption for those with pre-arranged appointments.

The South Down MLA said: "It is absolutely mind boggling that in the middle of a severe MOT backlog, which continues to force people off the roads, thousands of appointments are missed in one month alone."

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph