Belfast Telegraph

Pain of two heartbroken families continues as hopes of finding missing loved ones fade

By Joanne Sweeney

The pain of two heartbroken families continues as hopes of finding their missing loved ones fade.

Concerted searches for a woman and young man in two separate incidents have so far proved futile.

The third day of an extensive land and sea search for a female swimmer at Bangor Bay finished without any confirmation as to what could have happened to her.

The identity of the woman - who is believed to have left a pile of her clothes on the rocks at the pier before entering the water - has not yet been released by police.

PSNI responded to the potential missing person report on Monday, which in turn sparked off extensive searches for the woman who did not return to reclaim her clothes.

It was not confirmed last night if the search would go into a fourth day.

Her family are too upset to comment. It is understood she may have had difficulties and also recently suffered the bereavement of a close relative.

Meanwhile, the family of 23-year-old Kieran McAree have maintained a dignified vigil on the shores of Lough Erne in Co Fermanagh since before Christmas.

It's been two weeks since the young GAA player was last seen in the West Bridge area of Enniskillen on Wednesday, December 17.

His Volkswagen Golf car was later discovered at Henry Street in the town. His family, friends, and neighbours have rallied to help in the search to locate his body.

His parents have been travelling to Enniskillen each day from their home town of Monaghan to work with police and other volunteers in an effort to find the popular young man.

The search has become increasingly sophisticated with the use of shore-based scanners to investigate a one-mile stretch of the lough bed while police also used a victim recovery dog to help search the banks.

There are other families who still live with the anguish of not knowing what happened to their missing relatives at this time of the year.

Martin Kelly (21), from Kinnegar Drive, Holywood, Co Down, went missing on New Year's Day in 2006, while Samuel Campbell (49) left his home in Kells near Ballymena on New Year's Day three years ago for a cycle ride. Neither have been heard of again.

Plumber was last seen in bar at Belfast docks

New Year's Day is also a sombre one for the Kelly family.

Nine years ago 21-year-old plumber and part-time barman Martin was last seen enjoying himself during a night out in Belfast.

The last time friends saw him alive was at a bar in the docks area of the city.

His father Raymond this week begged for anybody with information to come forward.

"I believe there are people who know something," he said.

"I would appeal for them to come forward either to the family, police or clergy."

Cyclist disappeared after going for a New Year ride

Samuel Campbell (49) left his home to go out on his bicycle on New Year's Day and was last seen at around 2.15pm on the Tully Road in Kells near Ballymena.

His bicycle was later discovered in a coastal area close to Glenarm on Tuesday, January 3. When last seen he was wearing a red top with the letters T.C.G. on it and long black leggings. Samuel is around 6ft tall, of a slim build with short dark hair. Mr Campbell left with just his cycling gear, leaving his mobile phone, wallet and bank cards at home.

'We still think she's going to walk through the door'

In the days before Christmas the twin of missing Charlotte Murray appealed for information regarding her sibling. The Omagh-born woman hasn't been seen since the end of October 2012, when she disappeared from the Tyrone town of Moy, where she had been living.

Speaking last week, Denise said: "Every day is filled with anxiety but then there are days when you just feel that Charlotte is going to come through the door. Some days we have hope that Charlotte is still out there, and other days nothing is there."

Presumed murdered... almost a decade on and Lisa mystery remains unsolved

Lisa Dorrian has not been seen since leaving a party being held at a Co Down caravan park.

The 25-year-old shop assistant is believed to have vanished sometime after 5am on the morning of February 28, 2005.

She was wearing a white short sleeve top, cream-coloured combat trousers and a cream-coloured hooded jacket for the party on the Shore Road, Ballyhalbert.

When she disappeared, she left her handbag and personal belongings behind and has not made contact with family or friends since.

In the days that followed, a massive police search operation was launched to look for her. But hopes of seeing her alive again faded when police officially launched a murder inquiry.

Despite exhaustive land and sea searches over the years, Lisa's body has never been found.

'All we want to know is that he is safe and well'

Dean Patton was last seen on July 24, 2012. Despite extensive searches and a £10,000 reward for information, his whereabouts remain a mystery.

He was wearing a black T-shirt and jeans and is 6ft tall with dark hair and a tanned complexion. The last sighting was on CCTV when he was captured entering the Nisa store in Portrush. His family have described him as vulnerable.

"If Dean doesn't want to come home, that's fine," his mum Linda said.

"All we want to know is that he is safe and keeping well."

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph