Belfast Telegraph

Paramedics found dead man lying in pool of blood, murder trial hears

By Ashleigh McDonald

A paramedic requested to attend a flat in Lurgan following reports of an unresponsive male found a man lying face down in a pool of blood, a jury has heard.

As the trial into the murder of Marcell 'Junior' Seeley entered its third day, evidence was heard from three people who work for the Ambulance Service.

The beaten remains of the 34-year-old father-of-four were discovered by his sister in the living room of his Dingwell Park home in October 2015.

The victim - described in court as an alcoholic - died from blunt force trauma to the head consistent with kicking or stamping.

Standing trial at Belfast Crown Court is Mark Daniel Ward (25), from Drumellan Gardens in the Moyraverty area of Craigavon, who denies murdering Mr Seeley.

It is the Crown's case that Ward murdered Mr Seeley some time on the morning of Sunday, October 11, 2015.

The jury of eight women and four men heard from a medical dispatcher, who received a call at the Ambulance Service's HQ in Belfast on Tuesday, October 13, 2015, and from two paramedics who attended the scene.

The dispatcher said she received a call from a man to say there was a male alcoholic at a flat in the Taghnevan estate.

She said she was provided with information from the caller that the male in question was "unconscious on the floor, not breathing, and there was blood everywhere".

Evidence was also heard from a paramedic from the rapid response unit, who arrived at Mr Seeley's flat just after noon on October 13.

The paramedic said that when he arrived at the scene there were about 15 people gathered outside the flat. The paramedic said he was told by a woman that the occupant "looked liked he had been beaten and appeared to be dead".

When the paramedic entered the flat he located Mr Seeley lying face-down in the living room.

The paramedic noticed a cut to Mr Seeley's ear, and estimated due to the puddling of blood that he had been dead "for a number of hours".

The paramedic noted a pool of blood around 12 inches in diameter round the dead man's head and mouth, as well as two large, bloody footprints in the middle of the living room floor and blood spatters on a kitchen unit.

A second paramedic to arrive at the scene also noted an injury to Mr Seeley's left ear, with him noting the ear appeared to be partially severed from the deceased's head.

At hearing.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph