Belfast Telegraph

Parents told to be vigilant over safety

By Joanne Sweeney

The last official recorded accidental death of a toddler due to becoming entangled in looped blind cords was that of Daniel Grant from Mayobridge, Co Down, in March 2013.

A medical expert gave evidence at the two-year-old's inquest in March that the tot could have lost unconsciousness in as little time as 16 seconds.

Afterwards his father Brian urged parents, grandparents and child minders to take urgent action to ensure that all blind cords were secured by a cleat in their homes and said: "Never in an instant did we think that blind cords could take our wee Daniel."

Martin Regan, the grandfather of Dean Regan Russell, aged 23 months from Bellaghy, became a safety campaigner after he died in 2011, saying: "Our world was torn apart when Dean died".

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph