Passengers in scare as fumes detected in cabin
Passengers had to abandon a Flybe flight at George Best Belfast City Airport last night after fumes were detected in the plane’s cabin before take-off.
All 63 passengers and five crew on the 6.30pm flight to Birmingham disembarked the plane after the smell of smoke was detected as it prepared to taxi to the runway.
Flybe confirmed the smell was the result of “an air conditioning malfunction on flight BE415”.
A replacement aircraft was scheduled to resume the service, departing at 8.45pm.
A spokeswoman for the airport described it as “a minor incident” but said that emergency services were called to the airport as a matter of routine.
“This was a technical issue and the whole incident was resolved within an hour,” she said.