Belfast Telegraph

Petrol bomb attack after Apprentice Boys parade in Derry

Appeal: Chief Constable Simon Byrne
Appeal: Chief Constable Simon Byrne

By Staff Reporter

Police and the Apprentice Boys Memorial Hall were attacked with petrol bombs in Londonderry on Saturday night.

The attacks followed the annual Apprentice Boys parade in the city on Saturday.

At around 10.45pm police received a report that two petrol bombs had been thrown close to the Apprentice Boys Memorial Hall on Society Street.

Police were deployed to the area and were attacked by a crowd who threw 15-20 petrol bombs and other missiles in the area of Fahan Steet.

A number of pallets were also placed on the street and set on fire.

Chief Constable Simon Byrne said that police had used "thoughtful and considered tactics to police a difficult situation".

However, he wrote on Twitter that "the solution needs wider support and leadership".

Superintendent Gordon McCalmont said that nobody had been injured in either attack.

"Last night the Memorial Hall was busy with people socialising after the parade in the city and, while no one was injured, this could have been much different had it not been for the actions of police," he said.

"Fortunately, no injuries were sustained by officers, but this violent behaviour cannot be tolerated.

"Calm was restored shortly after 1am and police remained in the area and monitored the situation throughout the night.

"A thorough police investigation is now underway to identify those responsible and seek to bring them before the courts and I would appeal to anyone who has any information about what happened last night to contact police.

"Alternatively, information can also be provided to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111."

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph