| 13.1°C Belfast

Pictured: Boy hospitalised after Belsonic incident - horrified dad warns: 'Don't take drugs, they kill you'


A Northern Ireland man has told of his shock after his son was left fighting for his life after being hospitalised following a gig at Belsonic in Belfast.

Writing in a Facebook post that has been shared more than 6,000 times, Simon Lindsay said that after going to Belsonic with his friends on Monday night, his son Jaime made "the worst mistake he has ever made and almost paid for it with his life".

Mr Lindsay has issued the blunt message of "don't do drugs" to Northern Ireland's young people.

After finding out through their son's friends that something had happened to him, Jaime's father made his way to the Royal Victoria Hospital where he was being treated.

Mr Lindsay writes in the post that: "Initially we couldn't get to see Jamie until it was proven he was Jamie and we were in fact his parents.

"We thought at the time that this delay was because we had lost Jamie. When we did get to his bedside we were shocked at the sight."

His son was then transferred to the City Hospital Intensive Care Unit where he was placed on a life support machine.

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

In his post Mr Lindsay points to the role that a fake ID played in what happened to his son.

"Jamie had used another boy’s ID and we regret that the other boys family received that awful devastating news and we apologise to his parents for this," he said.

"Jamie got this ID of a friend who bought it from the owner last year."

Thankfully, since the incident Jaime has come off life support and is now back at home with his family where he is continuing his recovery.

Jaime's father also thanked "well wishers and family and friends for their messages" while his son was on life support.

Mr Lindsay also issued a stark warning to "Jamie's friends and any young person who sees this".

He wrote: "1 - Don't take drugs - simple - they kill you. One pill can kill. 2 - Don't drink to excess - you are in danger of making yourself ill and will also lead to bad decision making. 3 - Stop carrying these ID's belonging to others. The implications of this are now so clear to us and the other family of the boy it belonged too."

He finishes the post by saying that his son has been given a "second chance at life" and that "he will now face whatever consequences or punishments that may come his way".

Top Videos