Belfast Telegraph

Pile-up chaos brings M2 to a halt after 13 vehicles collide

Seven people have been treated in hospital a series of pile-ups on the M2.

At least 13 cars were involved in four separate traffic accidents on the motorway heading out of Belfast.

The collisions all happened between Sandyknowes and Templepatrick at around 9am yesterday.

Fire crews, police and paramedics were called and seven adults were taken to hospital with minor injuries.

Traffic came to a standstill on the southbound carriage and a section of the motorway was closed for a short time.

One motorist said the crash was the worst she had ever seen on her drive to work.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” the woman said. “I could see flashing lights everywhere and police cars were flying up the hard shoulder to get to it in time.

“Cars were stopped end-to-end on both sides of the carriageway.”

In the most serious of the four accidents, five vehicles collided and seven people were treated by doctors at the scene.

At least one casualty had to be removed from her car by fire crews.

Witnesses said they saw a number of damaged cars lined up on the hard shoulder, several of which were badly dented.

Up to 17 emergency vehicles were in attendance and people could be seen with cuts and bruises by the side of the road.

The casualties, four women and three men, were taken to Antrim Area Hospital.

Mayhem Monday... 46 minutes of motorway smashes

8.35am: The M2 was closed after four cars collided on the northbound section of the motorway, just before the Templepatrick off-slip. A number of people were taken to hospital suffering from minor injuries. Traffic in both directions was at a standstill.

8.53am: Fire crews were called to a second two-vehicle crash on the M2 between Sandyknowes and Templepatrick. Two women were taken to hospital and one had to be removed from her car. Four fire engines from Glengormley, Ballyclare and Central stations attended.

9.12am: Five cars collided on the same stretch of motorway, a couple of hundred metres from the previous crash. Three people were taken to hospital and four were treated for minor injuries. Four fire engines attended.

9.21am: Two men were taken to hospital after a fourth crash involving two vehicles on the same section of the M2. One fire engine attended.

10.50am: The M2 was reopened to traffic after crash debris was cleared from the road.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph