Belfast Telegraph

Planning application submitted for Enniskillen bomb memorial

The unveiling last year of the memorial for victims of the Enniskillen bomb
The unveiling last year of the memorial for victims of the Enniskillen bomb

A planning application has been submitted for the Enniskillen bomb memorial to be placed at the site of the explosion.

There was anger after the memorial commissioned for the 30th anniversary of the 1987 attack was removed because permission from the land owners - the Catholic Church - was not given for the placement of the structure.

Twelve were killed in the remembrance Sunday IRA attack and scores more injured.

The proposal had been to place it at the Clinton Centre on land held by the Catholic Church, St Michael's Diocesan Trust. The Trust said at the time it had not been consulted by Fermanagh and Omagh District Council on the decision to erect the monument.

It stated it had no objection to a memorial being erected.

Last May, the Trust said it had removed the memorial based on considerations around public access, maintenance of the monument, and ongoing public works in Enniskillen town centre.

And in September an agreement was reached to place the memorial within the gable wall of the Clinton Centre.

Dean of Enniskillen Cathedral, the Very Revd Kenneth Hall, who chaired the negotiations stated: “We can now confirm that agreed plans have been submitted for planning approval.

“I am pleased to say a very positive outcome has been achieved, with which the bereaved families and all interested parties are satisfied.”

The application has now been submitted to the local council for approval.

How the Enniskillen Bomb Memorial will look when it is placed on the Clinton Centre.
How the Enniskillen Bomb Memorial will look when it is placed on the Clinton Centre.

Fermanagh and Omagh District along with the St Michael's Diocesan Trust has been asked for comment.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph