Playground could close in months, court is told
A process which could result in the closure of the playground named after Raymond McCreesh will be completed within months, the High Court has heard.
A judge was told that a final decision on the future of Raymond McCreesh Park in Newry is expected by next April.
The development in proceedings issued by a grandmother was confirmed after councillors voted in favour of reviewing playgrounds in the area rather than renaming the facilities.
Bea Worton's challenge has now been taken out of the court list, with a final order in the case expected to be made today.
The 89-year-old pensioner was seeking to judicially review Newry, Mourne and Down District Council for alleged bias or irrationality in naming the park after the IRA man.
Her son Kenneth was one of 10 people killed at Kingsmill, south Armagh, in 1976.
McCreesh, from Camlough in Armagh, was reportedly in possession of a rifle used in the killings when he was captured later that year.
Controversy has continued to surround the park since councillors voted to retain the name in February 2015.
Last year the Equality Commission told the local authority it should debate and take a fresh decision on the park.
At a council meeting on Wednesday night a majority of 23 representatives from Sinn Fein and the SDLP backed an option recommending a review of the land.
The other nine members present voted to change to a "neutral" name, the court heard.
Barrister Paul McLaughlin, for the council, pointed out: "None voted to keep the name. That is a significant policy direction from the council."
Mr McLaughlin said consultation on the play strategy is expected to begin next month, with proposals and a resolution anticipated at a meeting in the spring.
"Hopefully by April 9 a final outcome will have been achieved," he added. "In those circumstances I think the factual background supporting this challenge is wholly different.
"Ultimately, the relief sought by the applicant will have been achieved through an alternative course."
Counsel for Mrs Worton, Richard Smith, gave a "cautious" welcome to the developments.
He told Mr Justice McCloskey: "None of this would have happened had Mrs Worton not brought her application before the court.
"Given the direction it's going, we are content that in light of the time-frame to allow time and space for that to be followed up."
Following submissions, the judge confirmed a full hearing in the case planned for today will not go ahead.
Setting out his intention to make some form of final order, he added: "There's no point in having a rolling review, waiting for a whole new decision-making process and the case languishing with no finality, that's going to achieve virtually nothing."