Belfast Telegraph

Poignant farewell to holiday tragedy teen Aaron Davidson

By Emily Moulton

Hundreds of mourners gathered in Newtownabbey yesterday for the funeral of Aaron Davidson, one of the teenagers who died after a suspected gas leak in Castlerock.

The private service was held at the Church of Ascension on Doagh Road, not far from where the 18-year-old grew up.

Aaron and his childhood pal Neil McFerran (also 18) both died last Tuesday.

The pair had been staying in a holiday apartment in the seaside town with another friend Matthew Gaw when tragedy struck.

Both Aaron and Neil died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. Matthew survived.

It is understood a gas appliance inside the flat may be to blame.

Among the mourners at the funeral yesterday were members of the McFerran family, who buried their beloved Neil on Saturday, as well as survivor Matthew who is still attempting to come to terms with the loss of his two best friends.

Following the service, dozens of family and friends walked in unison, as Aaron’s coffin was carried from the church and along the Doagh Road before being placed in the hearse for the journey to his final resting place.

His family, who have been so dignified in their grief, were visibly distraught as the vehicle made its way to Carmoney Cemetery where Aaron’s friend Neil is also buried.

On Saturday, more than 1,000 people gathered at Newtownabbey Methodist Mission for Neil McFerran’s funeral.

During the service, Neil’s older brother Stephen paid tribute to the teenager.

He told the congregation: “The truth is, Neil was so perfect and if I was half the person he was, I would be very proud of myself and I have realised how I looked up to him,” he said.

“He brought people together with his love, always smiling, giving hugs, teaching us the value of youth and how important it is to stay young at heart.”

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph