Poison root warning to dog walkers on Down coast
Dog walkers have been urged to remain vigilant after sightings of 'poisonous parsnip' were reported along the North Down coast.
The latest discovery was at the popular Crawfordsburn beach this week and comes after a family pet died through poisoning at the nearby Ballywalter beach.
Border collie Cooper died after a family walk on March 25 and there were reports of another dog becoming unwell and dying after a walk at Seapark.
Ards and North Down Borough Council urged people to be vigilant.
A spokesman said: "We are aware of incidences where poisonous parsnip, known as Hemlock Water Dropwort root, has washed up along our coast.
"The wet winter climate seems to see an increased uprooting of the plant.
"If the public were to come across the root, do not touch the plant with bare hands, and if they wish, they could pick it up using protective gloves, double bag it and dispose of it in a bin."