Belfast Telegraph

Poisoned woman dies in hospital

The wife of a man killed by carbon monoxide poisoning at his home died in hospital.

Retired teacher Pauline Scallon was critically ill after the couple was overcome by fumes at their house in Irvinestown, Co Fermanagh, last Wednesday.

Husband Killian Scallon, an estate agent aged in his fifties, was found dead in their Kesh Road property and his wife was taken for treatment.

The couple had two grown-up children, who have been left devastated by the double blow.

Devenish Catholic parish priest Fr Michael McGourty said: "It is a great loss, it is a tremendous loss, a tragedy for them.

"It is breaking their hearts as we think about that after the tragedy of last week and that funeral at the weekend."

Police said Mrs Scallon died at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast, where she was transferred from the Erne hospital in Enniskillen.

Enterprise, Trade and Investment Minister Arlene Foster said the mother-of-two had taught at a special school and was extremely well thought of.

"It is just so sad for the children and the family and the wider community," the Democratic Unionist Fermanagh and South Tyrone Northern Ireland Assembly member said.

She was retired but still worked at the school when needed.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph