Belfast Telegraph

Police attacked in protest over death of black man

By Sally Wardle

Protesters angry at the death of a black man following a police chase barricaded a road and threw bottles at officers amid rising tensions.

Bins, mattresses and debris blocked part of Kingsland Road in east London, where crowds gathered in response to the death of Rashan Charles.

Videos posted on social media show a line of officers walking back in retreat as items are launched towards them.

Scotland Yard said "a number of items including bottles" were thrown at officers attending a "planned protest" yesterday.

The police watchdog, the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), is investigating the events leading to the death of Mr Charles last Saturday.

Unverified footage on social media appeared to show at least one police officer attempting to restrain him on the floor of a shop at 1.45am, close to where the protest is being held.

The 20-year-old later died in hospital.

Yesterday evening dozens of protesters, some masked, were lining the streets.

Shattered glass litters the road, where a handful of protesters are holding Black Lives Matter placards.

The IPCC said: "We understand the concerns raised following Rashan's death.

"We will independently examine the circumstances of this incident. We will follow the evidence, we will consider whether there is an indication there may have been misconduct or criminality, and we will seek to answer the questions that Rashan's family and the community of Hackney understandably have."

A lorry drove through the barricade hitting the bins lined up in its path.

Protesters jumped onto the vehicle, clinging to the window, while one sat on a bin which was pushed along by the lorry.

Several bins were set alight at the barricade.

As riot police moved towards the barricade, two men came towards them launching bottles.

Fireworks were also launched at police.

A stream of riot police vans then drove towards the barricade. Police pushed down the street in an attempt to beak up the group.

One group charged at police launching scores of bottles, which smashed on the ground.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph