Belfast Telegraph

Police booby-trap bomb accused caught in high speed police chase, court told

By Michael Donnelly

A Co Armagh man accused of planting a lethal booby-trap bomb under an off-duty policeman's car in Londonderry was initially captured by police officers in the Republic following a high-speed chase in Donegal, the non-jury trial has heard.

Belfast Crown Court has already heard that although gardai detained Sean McVeigh and two others outside the Donegal village of Killygordon shortly after the device was planted, he was not arrested by the PSNI until nearly a year later.

The 37-year-old from Victoria Street, Lurgan, who denies attempting to murder police and possessing the under-car bomb on June 18, 2015, was eventually arrested by PSNI officers in May 2016 while travelling on a Lurgan-bound train.

The court was told yesterday that Garda in Letterkenny were initially asked for assistance by the PSNI in Strand Road, Derry after two vehicles failed to stop at a police checkpoint and were thought to be heading to Bridgend in Donegal.

It was also suspected they may have had something to do with the planting of the bomb.

While a number of Garda patrols were alerted, the court also heard that members of the Garda's armed Regional Support Unit in Ballyshannon were also tasked to take part in the search for the car.

It was a two-man patrol from this specialist unit which, while driving towards the border town of Lifford, first spotted one of the suspect vehicles, a black VW Passat, on the outskirts of Killygordon, and gave chase.

The driver said that although he switched on his siren and blue flashing vehicle lights, the Passat was "clearly ... evading any attempt by ourselves to stop it".

He also revealed that in the Donegal village, the Passat drove through a red light, even swerving onto the wrong side of the road to avoid a car already stopped at the lights.

Eventually, officers managed to block the Passat as it sped towards Ballybofey.

Once stopped, the Garda said that he and his sergeant "took necessary action" and, having drawn his "official issue pistol", told those in the Passat they were armed gardai and they were being stopped under Section 30 of Offences against the State Act.

He said that after first detaining and handcuffing the rear-seat passenger, he then detained and cuffed McVeigh, who was the front-seat passenger, while his sergeant arrested the driver.

Despite being asked for their names, the three men remained silent, he added.

Later in a follow-up search of the chase route, the Garda said that he found a black glove, turned inside out, lying on the ground. He remained with the find until it was photographed and placed in an envelope by a detective.

During cross examination, the Garda officers said they were "conscious" of the need to forensically protect the scene, and of the dangers of possible contamination.

However, they accepted that they had not been wearing gloves at the time, and had not put the men in forensic suits as they were not available.

They also said that the three suspects were only "patted down" to ensure they had nothing and that the Passat was given only a "cursory search as such", again to establish there was nothing which would or could have posed a danger.

But they maintained that there had been no "long search of the vehicle" and that while they may have looked inside the vehicle, they had not gotten into it, although it would have been possible for other gardai to enter the vehicle without their knowledge.

The trial continues today.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph