Police hit out after boy picks up pipe bomb in Derry
Police have slammed the "completely reckless" actions of those who planted a pipe bomb in Londonderry that was later picked up by a young boy.
The incident happened at around 6pm in the garden of a house in the Curlew Way area of the city's Waterside.
Police believe the device had been detonated prior to being picked up by the boy.
Detective Inspector Michael Winters said: "While this was not a live device, the fact a young boy found it and lifted it shows the blatant disregard by those responsible for leaving it there. It was completely reckless.
A child last night narrowly escaped death after lifting the remains of a pipe bomb in #Derry.— Leona O'Neill (@LeonaONeill1) May 22, 2019
Police say the young boy found the detonated bomb in a garden of a house in Curlew Way, Clooney Estate, while playing at teatime, calling those behind this attack ‘completely reckless’ pic.twitter.com/O9dbs1uw2n
"I want to appeal to anyone who has information about this to contact detectives at Strand Road on the non emergency number 101, quoting reference number 2084 of 21/05/19.
"I also want to take this opportunity to remind the public if anyone comes across anything suspicious, please call police immediately."
Information can also be provided anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
SDLP Colum Eastwood said the "reckless attack put lives at risk".
“It’s absolutely galling that a child discovered the bomb following the explosion. And it underlines the tragedy that we could have been dealing with this morning," he said.
“People in this city and right across the North have rejected violence. The events of the last month have seen a vocal recommitment on behalf of the people of Derry to reject those who deal in the politics of death, destruction and mayhem. We are not going back."
Sinn Fein councillor Christopher Jackson condemned those responsible.
“Whoever was behind this pipe bomb attack in Curlew Way in the Waterside area showed absolutely no regard for the public," he said.
“The fact that the remains of this device were picked up by a child is shocking and shows what could have happened if anyone had been in the area when it exploded.
“Those responsible for this pipe bomb attack have nothing to offer the community and need to end these actions immediately.
“Anyone with any information on those responsible should bring it forward to police.”
Belfast Telegraph Digital