Belfast Telegraph

Police warn public not to name man charged with raping two-week-old - baby remains in intensive care

The Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children
The Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children

Police have warned the public not to name a Northern Ireland man charged with raping a two week old baby.

The baby is currently in intensive care in the paediatric unit of the Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children.

A 25-year-old man was charged with rape and grievous bodily harm with intent.

The man appeared at Armagh Magistrates Court on Tuesday October 2.

The baby is from the Annalong area of County Down and had been initially treated at a hospital in the Southern Trust area.

Police have asked the public to remember that reporting restrictions are in place and not to "name and shame" the suspect online as it could impact further court appearances and any future trial.

In a Facebook post, the PSNI in Craigavon said that "officers kept their cool" while dealing with the "horrifying case".

"From first attendance, dealing with the victim, suspect, arresting, interviewing and charging him. If they can do that, the least we can ask of the public is to allow justice to take its course," a PSNI spokesperson said.

A spokesperson for the Belfast Trust said: "We do have a child in our care but we will not be commenting further due to the family's request for privacy."

Police confirmed detectives from the PSNI Serious Crime Branch are investigating an incident in which an infant sustained a number of serious injuries on Saturday, September 29.

The accused is due to appear before Newry Magistrates Court on Wednesday, October 10.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

From Belfast Telegraph