Belfast Telegraph

Prison officer Adrian Ismay was murdered - post mortem results revealed

Prison officer Adrian Ismay
Prison officer Adrian Ismay
Adrian Ismay who died yesterday, 12 days after a bomb exploded under his van
A passer-by leaves a floral tribute near the spot where the bomb went off
Other tributes were also left
Other tributes were also left
Other tributes were also left
Prison officer Adrian Ismay died 11 days after a bomb attack in Belfast (Department of Justice/PA)

Police have launched a murder investigation following the death of prison officer Adrian Ismay, after a post mortem confirmed he died as a result of a dissident republican bomb attack

Mr Ismay died 11 days after the bomb attack in east Belfast.

The 52-year-old, suffered leg injuries when the booby trapped device detonated under his van on March 4.

Dissident republican group the New IRA said it was responsible.

The father of three was said to be recovering well but was taken back into hospital on Tuesday morning and died.

Senior Investigating Officer Detective Chief Inspector Richard Campbell said: "Today is yet another difficult day for the Ismay family, his friends and colleagues as they struggle to come to terms with the events of the past 12 days. We have spoken to the family this morning and advised them of this development.

"We are also liaising with the Public Prosecution Service in relation to the individual who is currently charged with attempted murder and causing an explosion with intent to endanger life.”

DCI Campbell concluded: “This has been treated as a significant Serious Crime investigation from the outset and will continue as such.  I would reiterate my appeal from yesterday about the two vehicles we believe were involved in this murder. The cars were a red Citroen C3 with registration SKZ6662 and a silver Skoda Fabia with registration KFZ2352. Anyone with information should contact detectives on the Non-Emergency 101 number or anonymously through the Crimestoppers Charity 0800 555 111”.

One man has already been charged with attempted murder but the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) said detectives will await medical evidence before deciding whether to launch a murder investigation.


From Belfast Telegraph