Belfast Telegraph

Probe into Northern Ireland man's death after 999 crew 'failed to locate him'

David McClenaghan
David McClenaghan
Victoria Leonard

By Victoria Leonard

The Scottish Ambulance Service has launched an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of a Co Fermanagh father-of-two who passed away in Lanarkshire last year.

David McClenaghan (57) reportedly died of a heart attack after emergency services responding to his 999 call attended the car dealership where he worked in Coatbridge, Lanarkshire - but left soon after failing to see him from inside their emergency vehicle.

According to the Scottish Sun, it was not until around an hour later that a security guard found Mr McClenaghan lying behind his office door, but was unable to resuscitate him.

It is believed that Mr McClenaghan, who was a general manager at Park's showroom, had been working late in his office at around 5pm on August 26, 2018, after his colleagues had left.

The first ambulance was called at 5.45pm and took just seven minutes to arrive at the scene. But they reportedly left without locating Mr McClenaghan, who was originally from Enniskillen but lived in Bannockburn in Stirlingshire.

It was only around an hour later, when a security guard went to check why the burglar alarm had not been set, that he was discovered.

Despite the security guard calling for a second ambulance, Mr McClenaghan passed away before it arrived.

It was subsequently revealed that he had suffered a pulmonary embolism, which led to a cardiac arrest.

Mr McClenaghan had worked in the car sales trade for two decades and had been a general manager with Park's for 19 months. His funeral notice described him as a "devoted husband of Georgina and treasured Dad of Rachel and Joshua".

His funeral was held in Bannockburn last September.

In a statement, the Scottish Ambulance Service told the Belfast Telegraph that it had contacted Mr McClenaghan's family to apologise.

A spokesperson for the Scottish Ambulance Service said: "We would like to extend our sincere condolences to the family of Mr McClenaghan.

"We have contacted the family to apologise and we are taking this issue very seriously - we have launched a full review and investigation into the circumstances surrounding this incident."

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph