Belfast Telegraph

PSNI reveal powder found inside Kinder egg was crystal meth

Limavady DUP councillor Alan Robinson
Limavady DUP councillor Alan Robinson

By Angela Rainey

The white powder discovered inside a Kinder Surprise egg by a five-year-old boy in Limavady is the Class A drug methamphetamine, the PSNI has said.

The youngster found the yellow plastic egg, which usually contains a toy, in a hedge while out playing with his eight-year-old brother in the Edenmore Road area, then handed it over to his father.

It was passed on to the police who yesterday revealed the substance was methamphetamine, also known as crystal meth - a drug that could have caused the youngster serious harm if it had been ingested.

Methamphetamine is an extremely addictive stimulant. It takes the form of a white, bitter-tasting crystalline powder that gives users a euphoric high, but can cause brain damage in the long term.

It may have been hidden in the egg so that it could be smuggled into jail.

PSNI Inspector Colin Shaw said: "The contents of the bag, which was found inside a toy egg, is believed to be methamphetamine.

"This incident is of the uppermost concern for all of us.

"Tackling the use and supply of illegal drugs is a priority for us, and the possibility that something so potentially dangerous has been discarded where children could find it is deeply concerning.

"We work continually with partners in education, youth provision and health services to educate young people about the dangers of drugs and to deter them from becoming involved in drugs.

"We can only be successful in our efforts when we work together. I would ask everyone in the local community to help us, and if you have information about the sale or misuse of illegal drugs, please contact us on 101.

"It is only with your assistance and information that we can identify offenders and bring them to justice.

"I don't want members of the local community to find drugs on their street.

"This incident just reminds us that criminals have no regard whatsoever for the safety of local residents, and I am thankful that this child had the sense to speak to an adult about what he discovered."

Limavady DUP councillor Alan Robinson said the consequences of a child taking the drug could have been serious.

He added that if the drugs had been ingested, people could have been dealing with a death.

"The shock of the community has been compounded after fears that it was a drug were confirmed," Mr Robinson said.

"There would have been a devastating impact on any child that sampled that drug."

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph