Belfast Telegraph

Puppy death accused gets £600 fine for assault in kebab shop

Attack: Kyle Keegan
Attack: Kyle Keegan

By Staff Reporter

A Lurgan man accused of bludgeoning a defenceless puppy to death with a hammer was yesterday fined £600 for a vicious attack on an innocent bystander at a kebab shop.

Kyle Keegan (23) of Gilpins Manor pleaded guilty at Craigavon Magistrates Court yesterday to common assault and disorderly behaviour at Kylz Kebabs.

Keegan is due back in court on June 15, where he will be dealt with on a separate charge of beating an 11-week-old puppy to death on February 3.

He is charged with causing unnecessary suffering to the dog, who was named Sparky.

Previous courts have heard how the animal's remains were uncovered in a bin after a house party in the Ailsbury Park area of Lurgan.

Yesterday, the court dealt with charges linked to the kebab shop attack.

It heard that at around 1.45am on December 27, 2016, police were called to a disturbance in Lurgan.

However, after arriving at the premise they found nothing untoward.

Later at around 3.45am, a female entered Lurgan police station to report that her friend had been assaulted at the kebab shop.

CCTV footage assessed by police showed there had been a verbal altercation in the shop before the defendant and another male entered.

Keegan is then seen headbutting the injured party in an unprovoked attack before he and the accompanying male - who was not named in court - then further assaulted the victim.

While on the floor, Keegan once again headbutted the injured party before they both left the takeaway.

It was heard that at this point they continued to argue but no more physical violence ensued.

Prosecution informed the court that the defendant had not co-operated with police, having three times failed to turn up for interviews.

Defence solicitor Gabriel Ingram said that this had been "disgraceful behaviour", adding that it had been a "free for all" with "more than just my defendant involved".

The court heard Keegan had found it hard to find employment but earned money doing odd jobs such as painting, decorating and clearing rubbish from people's yards.

Mr Ingram stated his client had been "highly intoxicated" at the time and had seen someone he had been punched by before.

He went on to say Keegan had nothing similar on his record but "was starting to amass something of a criminal record".

District Judge Bernie Kelly ordered the defendant to pay a fine of £600, along with the offender's levy of £15 within 10 weeks.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph