Rat poison in breadcrumbs in Belfast 'was cruel attempt to kill pets'
Dog walkers have been told to be vigilant after rat poison was left out in south Belfast in what police believe is a deliberate attempt to kill or harm animals. The warning comes after a member of the public found around 200 pellets of poison scattered amongst bread in a grassy area of Annadale embankment on Tuesday.
South Belfast PSNI described the act as "truly despicable" adding that "the big concern here is that this has been left out deliberately to entice animals to eat".
Posting a photograph on Facebook to illustrate how the pellets have been placed alongside pieces of white bread, the accompanying message stressed "there is absolutely no excuse for this and it will kill or make any animal severely ill, be it rodents or domestic animals".
It added: "The likelihood is a dog would have eaten these and a family is left with a hefty vet bill or even worse the death of a beloved member of the family."
SDLP Botanic representative Gary McKeown condemned the attempted poisoning of pet dogs in the area and said he was "shocked" at the "cruel and heartless" act.
"I am absolutely shocked that hundreds of pellets of what is thought to be rat poison were left amongst bread," he said.
"This is an extremely cruel and heartless thing to do and I am stunned it has happened.
"Rat poison will cause a long and painful death in a pet dog or cat, so I have absolutely no idea why anyone would do this. I hope that no dogs have consumed the poison and that it hasn't been left out elsewhere."
In a social media post a PSNI South Belfast spokesperson urged anyone with information to contact police.
"During my time in the PSNI, I have seen some truly despicable things," the Facebook entry said.
"What you see in the picture is approximately 200 pellets of what we believe to be rat poison left amongst bread.
"The big concern here is that this has been left out deliberately to entice animals to eat.
"There is absolutely no excuse for this and it will kill or make any animal severely ill, be it rodents or domestic animals.
"Please be vigilant when walking your dog and ensure it doesn't eat anything it finds on the ground."