Belfast Telegraph

Rising Sun Bar owner dies 22 years after Greysteel massacre

By Cate McCurry

Tributes have been paid to the owner of the Rising Sun Bar in Greysteel, the scene of one of the most devastating atrocities of the Troubles.

James Moore, whose 81-year-old father was shot dead during the UFF massacre, was described as a "bubbly man" who remained dignified in the years following the outrage.

Eight people died as a result of the attack on the village pub during a Halloween party in 1993 after the loyalist terror gang entered and began firing indiscriminately. One gunman yelled "trick or treat" as he pulled the trigger.

Thirteen people were wounded by the gunmen.

The shooting was carried out a week after the Shankill bombing in which 10 people died, including an IRA bomber.

The victims of the Greysteel massacre were Mr Moore; Karen Thompson (19) and boyfriend Stephen Mullan (20); Joseph McDermott (60); Moira Duddy (59), John Moyne (50) and former UDR man John Burns (54).

Former B Special Samuel Montgomery (76) died the following April after blood clots from a leg wound spread to his lungs.

James Moore jnr, also known as Jim, was in the bar on the night of the sectarian atrocity.

The Rising Sun remained in the family and it is believed Mr Moore's son, also called James, is taking over the business.

The Moore family never talked publicly about a massacre that shocked the world, and it is thought there will be no references to the incident at his funeral.

James is survived by wife Rose, son James, daughter Sharon, grandchildren and brothers Colm, Desmond, Loreen and Eamon.

Dermot Nicholl, a Sinn Fein councillor for the area, said it was a sad day for Greysteel.

"Jim was a businessman and a huge part of the community," he added. "It's a very sad day for the Moore family and his surrounding family.

"He was a person who was full of life. He was a bubbly character, enjoyed sport and was a great barman and good banter.

"He was very community-orientated and was very grassroots. He was a gentleman.

"He didn't like the limelight - he just got on about his business and kept his head down. He was very dignified and that's the way it will always be. He will be missed."

Mr Moore's remains will be taken from his home at Killylane Road, Greysteel, at 10.30am today for Requiem Mass in the Star of the Sea Church in Faughanvale.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph