Belfast Telegraph

Romanian pair accused of attempting to abduct teens

Two Romanian men have been remanded into custody after being accused of attempting to abduct two teenage girls
Two Romanian men have been remanded into custody after being accused of attempting to abduct two teenage girls

By Paul Higgins

Two Romanian men have been remanded into custody after being accused of attempting to abduct two teenage girls.

Standing alongside an interpreter at Antrim Magistrates Court yesterday, 39-year-old Liviu Caprean and Florin Boras (45) confirmed they understood the two charges against them.

Caprean, from Kinhilt Street and Boras, from Queen Street, both in Ballymena, face two counts of attempting to abduct two girls on May 19 this year.

None of the facts were discussed in court but a detective constable gave evidence that he believed he could connect both men to the charges.

It is understood, however, the charges follow an approach to two teenage girls in the Harryville area of Ballymena last Sunday.

Under cross examination from defence counsel Neil Moore, the officer agreed "there would be some hostility in the Ballymena community to these men."

District Judge Nigel Broderick heard that both defendants had been advised that there would be "concerns for their own safety if they were to be released to the Ballymena area".

Mr Moore said a potentially suitable bail address "is the first hurdle" for any application for their release but that he was not applying for bail at this stage.

Suggesting the pair be remanded to appear again later this month, the lawyer said that in the meantime efforts would be made in order to obtain "addresses that may well be suitable to police".

Mr Moore added that he conceded there may be other objections to bail.

Caprean and Boras were subsequently remanded into custody.

Judge Broderick ordered them to appear via video link at Ballymena Court on May 30.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph