Belfast Telegraph

Roseann Mallon murder: Police made me doubt myself, says young man interrogated by RUC at age of 10 over UVF killing

"It seemed to me at the time they wanted me to say I hadn't seen anything"


Police pressurised a 10-year-old boy in to changing a statement connected to circumstances surrounding the death of Roseann Mallon, a coroner's court has heard.

A day after the pensioner was gunned down by the UVF in May 1994, two detectives visited Gareth Loughran's home and quizzed him about claims he had seen guns and army packs stashed in an old mill close to the murder scene.

Mr Loughran said: "It seemed to me at the time they wanted me to say I hadn't seen anything."

The long-delayed inquest in to the death of Ms Mallon from Dungannon is being heard before a High Court judge at Belfast's Laganside complex.

Mr Justice Weir was also told a rifle used in the attack on May 8, 1994 had been part of a consignment brought in from Czechoslovakia in December 1987, used by loyalist paramilitaries during the early 1990s.

It had jammed as the two gunmen sprayed the house at Cullenrammer Road with bullets, killing Ms Mallon (76) almost instantly.

No-one has ever been convicted over her death despite a number of people, including notorious loyalist Billy Wright, being arrested and questioned.

The UVF said its Mid-Ulster unit was responsible and had been targeting Ms Mallon's relatives, who were involved with the republican movement.

Army surveillance equipment, including a camera, was later found in a field overlooking the house, sparking claims of security force collusion.

The camera, which transmitted footage to soldiers based in a nearby wood, was about 2ft long and had been hidden in bird nest materials that was covered with army cloth.

In court, Mr Loughran, now an adult, described how he had gone to the old mill with his friend, Barry Rafferty, a relative of Ms Mallon, to build a hut.

He opened a bolted shed door and saw military-type rucksacks and about five or six guns leaning up against the wall.

The boys were then confronted by a man in camouflage-type clothing who told them to leave the area.

They reported their discovery to their parents and were taken to their local police station the following day, Sunday, May 8, to make statements.

That night Ms Mallon was shot dead.

On May 9, two RUC detectives visited the Loughran family home and spent two hours interviewing Gareth about his statement.

He said: "They just kept repeating the question." Later he added: "They went over and over it again until they made me doubt myself. They made me think I hadn't seen anything."

Mr Loughran made a second statement, in which he said he had lied about what he had seen at the mill.

In her evidence, the boy's mother, Sheila Loughran, said she was unaware the police officers had been interrogating her son.

Mrs Loughran, a nurse, said she had thought the officers just wanted to clarify a few points.

It was also revealed the high velocity rifle used in the attack had been the weapon of choice for loyalist paramilitaries and was stamped with the letters 'TL UVF'.

Roseann Mallon murder: Army had house where pensioner was gunned down by UVF killers under hi-tech surveillance, inquest hears

Arthritic Co Tyrone pensioner 'was shot dead by loyalist gunmen as she tried to flee to safety' 

MoD finds Mallon shooting documents 

Judge’s anger at MoD stalling over Roseanne Mallon inquest 

Why did soldiers fail to act as OAP was shot? 

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph