Belfast Telegraph

Sadist subjected girl of 15 to a litany of vile sexual abuse

By George Jackson

A man has pleaded guilty to dealing out a sickening catalogue of sexual and physical abuse to a 15-year-old girl who moved in with him after she left a children's home.

The 43-year-old drug abuser's violent treatment of the girl went on for three years from April 2006, and included a litany of sadistic sexual abuse and the stubbing out of cigarettes on her body.

Yesterday, at the Crown Court in Londonderry, Judge Philip Babington said that he found the details of the case "shocking".

The defendant, who admitted a total of 19 charges, cannot be named for legal reasons.

He admitted indecently assaulting the girl, who came from a children's home background and left the home when aged just 15.

She moved in with the defendant in the belief it would be a loving relationship. However, over the next three years the defendant subjected the teenage girl to a catalogue of sexual abuse, committed acts of gross indecency on her, stubbed out cigarettes on her body, tore her ear lobe by ripping off her earring, constantly kicked and punched her, and banged her head off the walls in the Co Derry house they shared.

He also attempted to strangle her, causing her to black out. She awoke to fined him pouring beer over her.

The court heard that on one occasion he pushed her head into a pot of cold cooking oil before he indecently assaulted her.

The girl's abuser once threw a glass at her that smashed against her head, cutting it.

On another occasion, after she returned to the house after a hospital appointment, during which she received stitches to a sensitive part of her body, he assaulted her with such force that the stitches burst.

A pre-sentence report described it as "a very violent sexual relationship", while a victim impact report contained what was described as "disturbing details of a vulnerable young girl".

In 2009 the victim took an overdose of tablets.

She finally reported the abuse to the police in June 2010. The defendant was arrested three months later and released on police bail after denying the offences.

However, in May of this year he admitted the offences and was remanded in custody.

A defence barrister said it was difficult to read the papers in the case without feeling outraged.

He said the abuse took place against the background of a lifestyle of drugs and alcohol abuse by both the abuser and his victim, and he said that it was a case which involved two damaged people.

Judge Babington remanded the defendant in continuing custody until he sentenced him next month.

"This is a shocking case which requires considerable consideration prior to sentencing," he said.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph