Belfast Telegraph

Samurai attack loyalist Lindsay almost beheaded in Belfast bloodbath

By Deborah McAleese

Top loyalist Colin 'Bap' Lindsay's head was almost severed from his body in a brutal samurai sword attack in his home.

The 47-year-old, a close friend of UDA boss Jackie McDonald, also had his hand hacked as he tried to protect himself, it has emerged.

A second man, Stan Wightman, had his arm severely injured and his neck cut during the gruesome attack at the property in the Belvoir estate in south Belfast on Wednesday night.

Mr Wightman (52) underwent emergency surgery and remained in a critical condition in hospital last night.

A bloody sword was discovered by police in a car thought to belong to 46-year-old Albert Armstrong, who was arrested a short time later on suspicion of murder.

It is understood that the sword belonged to Mr Lindsay and had been in his home.

According to a source, the crime scene was "just like something out of a gory Hollywood movie".

The scene was so chaotic that it was initially difficult for people to identify which of the two sword victims was dead.

Mr Wightman was eventually identified by a Chelsea tattoo.

It is understood that the three men had been drinking heavily together in the house at Kirkistown Walk when a row erupted.

UDA leader McDonald denied reports that the killing was linked to any feud in the organisation.

He told the Belfast Telegraph: "The three men regularly visited each other's houses.

"There is absolutely no feud in the UDA in south Belfast."

The gruesome scene was uncovered when police were called to another property in the area, believed to be Albert Armstrong's home, shortly before 8pm on Wednesday.

Armstrong was arrested and a samurai-type sword was recovered from a blue Mazda 6 nearby.

Senior investigating officer Detective Chief Inspector Richard Campbell said he believed the sword recovered near the scene of the killing was "likely... the weapon that was used in the attack".

He said Mr Linsday had "suffered a very brutal death".

"As a result of information received at the first property, officers then forced entry to a house at Kirkistown Walk also on the Belvoir estate and found two men seriously injured in the living room," the officer said.

"An ambulance was called, but one of the men, 47-year-old Colin Lindsay, who resided at the property, was pronounced dead.

"The other man, 52-year-old Stanley Wightman, was in a serious condition.

"He has significant injuries to his neck and arm." Mr Campbell described the attack as "extremely violent".

"We are following a number of lines of enquiry, but at the same time are keeping an open mind on what happened and why it happened.

"We are taking the unusual step of naming the three men who we believe were involved in this incident as part of our appeal for information to the local community," he said.

Police want to hear from anyone who saw or spoke to Colin Lindsay, Stanley Wightman or Albert Armstrong at any time on Wednesday, or who knows anything about their movements.

"We are also appealing for information about the blue Mazda 6 car, registration number FHZ 6126," Mr Campbell said.

"We want to hear from anyone who saw this car yesterday (Wednesday) to contact us."

Mr Lindsay was the UDA commander on the Belvoir estate.

An angry crowd of up to 60 people gathered outside in the street after the killing.

A window in the side of the dead man's residence was smashed.

DUP South Belfast MLA Jimmy Spratt said the murder had shocked Belvoir residents.

"Murder has no place in our society and I would urge anyone with information to contact the PSNI immediately. I would also appeal for calm in the area especially at a time of year when tensions are high," he said.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph