Belfast Telegraph

Samurai sword deaths: Man accused of killing UDA commander in south Belfast is charged with second murder

By Paul Higgins

A south Belfast man accused of hacking a UDA commander to death with a sword has today been formally charged with a second murder.

Appearing at Newtownards Magistrates Court via videolink from Maghaberry Prison, the indictment against 46-year-old Albert Armstrong was amended to accuse him of murdering Stanley Wightman on 10 July this year.

Armstrong, from Mahee Close in the Belvoir estate, had been charged with attempting to murder 52-year-old Mr Wightman - but within hours of the alleged killer's first court appearance a week ago, Mr Wightman died from the injuries he sustained.

The funeral of Armstrong's other alleged victim, UDA commander Colin 'Bap' Lindsay (47) is due to be held this morning.

He was pronounced dead at the gruesome scene on 8 July.

It had been reported that the three men were together in Mr Lindsay's home at Kirkistown Walk in the Belvoir estate when Armstrong allegedly attacked them with a Samurai type sword which was owned by the UDA chief.

Mr Lindsay's head was reportedly almost severed and he sustained a wound to his hand, while Mr Wightman sustained severe lacerations to his arm and neck.

The bloody scene was uncovered when police were called to another property in the area, believed to be Armstrong's home, shortly before 8pm on Wednesday.

Armstrong was arrested and a blood stained samurai-type sword was recovered from a blue Mazda 6 nearby.

Following an application by a prosecution lawyer to amend the indictment today, she told the court that as it was a recent remand, the full police file has not yet been received while Armstrong's defence solicitor agreed the alleged killer was "aware" of the new charge but asked for him to be held back for a legal consultation.

Remanding Armstrong back into custody, District Judge Des Perry ordered to him to appear again via videolink on 14 August.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph