SDLP MLA hits out at 'idiotic havoc' caused by Strabane bomb scare
An area of Strabane remains closed off on Sunday due to a bomb scare.
Police received a call at around 10.30pm on Saturday evening after a call was initially made to a local newsroom.
Inspector Vince Redmond said: "An extensive search of the area took place last night involving the air support unit and ammunition technical officers (responsible for bomb disposal), but nothing was found. A search has recommenced this morning and for the time being, the area will remain cordoned off.
“We understand that this is inconvenient for the local community and we would thank people for their patience and understanding.
“Anyone who comes across a suspicious object should not touch it. Contact police straight away on the emergency number 999.”
Local SDLP MLA Daniel McCrossan said he had received a number of calls and messages about the police activity and the closure of the brdige.
In a Facebook post he wrote: "Those causing this idiotic havoc need to realise that it’s local people they’re harming and disturbing."
Mr McCrossan also said that no evacuation request had been made.
Belfast Telegraph Digital