Belfast Telegraph

Search teams deployed in William McCormick murder investigation

William McCormick was last seen on May 30
William McCormick was last seen on May 30

Specially trained search teams are to be deployed by police investigating the murder of Co Down father-of-four William McCormick.

Mr McCormick, known locally as Pat, was last seen walking down Castle Street in Comber at around 10.45pm on May 30.

The 55-year-old's disappearance was changed to a murder inquiry after a review of information and evidence, police said.

On Thursday, police released CCTV footage showing his last movements in the hope of jogging potential witnesses' memories.

Detective Chief Inspector Pete Montgomery said the local community may hold vital information to establish the circumstances surrounding Mr McCormick's disappearance.

“We have conducted a number of searches in the local area and further searches will be conducted in the coming days with the use of specialist search advisers and specially trained search teams," he said.

“I am conscious that Pat’s friends and members of the public want to help us find him, however I would advise against them conducting searches themselves and leave this to the police.

“I am heavily reliant on the public to provide me with information that can help me find Pat."

Mr McCormick has short, dark-brown hair, is 5ft 3in in height and of medium build. He was last seen wearing a beige jacket, blue jeans and brown brogue shoes.

DI Montgomery urged anyone who sees any discarded clothing in the area matching this description to contact police.

“Pat’s phone hasn’t been used from May 30 and it remains unaccounted for. It’s an iPhone SE so if you’re out and about and see this phone lying somewhere, please let me know. It could be broken, smashed or in pieces," he added.

“If you have any information no matter how insignificant it may seem please contact detectives and pass it on to them.”

A 26-year-old man and a woman (20), who had been rearrested on suspicion of murder on Monday by the PSNI's Major Investigation Team, were released on bail pending further enquiries.

On Friday, two men aged 20 and 39 who were arrested on suspicion of assisting offenders and perverting the course of justice were released on bail.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph