Belfast Telegraph

Second hearing in Cliftonville player's indecent photo case

By Mark Edwards

An Irish League footballer accused of taking and distributing an indecent photograph of a child has had his case come before the courts.

Jay Donnelly, a striker for north Belfast club Cliftonville, did not appear for a first hearing yesterday at Belfast Magistrates Court.

Donnelly (22), of Ardilea Drive in Ardoyne, is alleged to have taken an indecent photograph of a child on June 28 last year.

He is also accused of distributing or showing the image between June 28, 2016 and October 25, 2016.

During the brief hearing, a lawyer for Donnelly said he was asking for the prosecution to "particularise" the dates the offences are alleged to have taken place.

No pleas were entered at the hearing.

District Judge Amanda Henderson set a date of Wednesday, November 22 for a second hearing to be held.

Cliftonville Football Club did not respond when asked by the Belfast Telegraph yesterday if Donnelly will be suspended by the club pending the conclusion of the case.

But at the weekend the club told Sunday Life that it was unaware that Mr Donnelly had been charged and was due to appear in court yesterday.

Donnelly, along with his brother Rory, started for the Reds at their home ground Solitude on Saturday as they beat Carrick Rangers 3-0.

The footballer also started for Cliftonville in their 4-0 away victory at Dungannon Swifts on October 28, while in their League Cup tie against the PSNI on October 4, he scored two goals in a 7-0 victory.

The striker rose through the club's youth teams and second string, Cliftonville Olympic, before starting for the senior squad.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph