Belfast Telegraph

Shocking Bangor attack video: Girl so badly beaten she's unable to have x-ray

  • A 17-year-old boy has been charged in connection with the incident
  • Two teenage girls aged 16 and 18 have been arrested by police
  • Police urge public not to use social media to 'progress investigation'

By Jonathan Bell

Police said the 16-year-old girl subjected to a "vicious" attack which was filmed and shared widely on social media is so badly hurt she will have to wait until next week to have an x-ray for doctors to get the true extent of her injuries.

Officers say they have identified those involved in the incident on the Bangor seafront on Friday evening.

A senior officer said those involved were between the ages of 14 and 18 and all their parents had been co-operating with police and expressing "real concern" around the safety of their children.

They have requested Facebook to remove the video of the attack while they work to apprehend the others involved.

"Some people on social networks are seeking to encourage the use of street justice in response to a violent and vicious attack - that is not the solution," said Chief Inspector Gerry McGrath.

A 17-year-old male has been charged with grievous bodily harm with intent, aiding and abetting grievous bodily harm (GBH) and assault occasioning actual bodily harm (AOABH).  He will appear in court on Monday.

A 16-year-old teenage girl has been arrested on suspicion of assault occasioning actual bodily harm (AOABH).  She was initially released on police bail pending further enquiries and later rearrested. A woman aged 18 was also detained by police on Sunday night.

The video of the incident was shared widely on social networks on Sunday.

It shows one girl savagely attack another while a baying crowd surround her goading her on. The girl is pulled by the hair, repeatedly punched and kicked in the face. The attacker also slams the girl's head into the concrete at one point.

At one stage two men pour drink over the girl while shouting abuse in her face despite her shouting she can't breathe. She can be heard screaming an apology while she desperately tries to protect her face from the continuous blows.

Off camera one man can he heard telling the attacker to "bust her nose".

A picture of the girl has been circulating on social networks showing her to have multiple cuts and bruises to her face after the incident.

Thousands have watched the video with many condemning the attack and voicing their disgust. The victim has been inundated with messages of support wishing her a full recovery.

Earlier Chief Inspector Gerry McGrath said: “It was reported to us that a 16-year-old girl had been assaulted by a group of teenagers around 7.30pm and that she had sustained a number of facial injuries.

“She has been treated in hospital but her injuries are so severe that medical staff will not be able to carry out x-rays on her face until next week.

“We have identified all of the suspects involved, two of whom have been arrested. The others are being actively sought by police."

The officer appealed to the public to allow the police to do their jobs.

“While we appreciate the support of the local community and understand their shock at this assault, we would ask that members of the public do not use social media as a means of progressing this investigation," he added.

“Our officers are working hard on this case and it is important that we follow due process.

“This was a particularly vicious attack on a young girl and we would appeal to anyone who witnessed the incident on Friday evening to contact police on the non-emergency number 101, quoting reference 1465 of 22/4/18."

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph