Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness hits out at media reports of illness
Martin McGuinness has appealed for privacy and hit out at media reports detailing his illness.
The former deputy First Minister who resigned from his post has suffered ill health for a number of weeks.
Sinn Fein has said the veteran politician is receiving the best of care and that he has been heavily involved in talks over the current political crisis engulfing the Northern Ireland political institutions.
On Thursday, the Irish Times outlined Mr McGuinness's condition.
Responding the Foyle MLA said he was “very disappointed” that the article was published, saying he believes it will distress his family.
"I have always considered my health a private matter," in a statement reported by The Journal.
"The media in the main, has respected my privacy. I am thankful to them for that.
"I am very disappointed that the Irish Times are not respecting that privacy and believe that this will cause my family distress."
Mr McGuinness tendered his resignation in Monday over Arlene Foster's refusal to step aside as First Minister to allow for an investigation into the Renewable heating Incentive Scandal.
Questions were raised about his health at the press conference and later Gerry Adams admitted his appearance may have shocked people.
However, he said his health had not influenced his decision to resign and said he had been deeply involved in his party’s response to the cash-for-ash affair.
Sinn Fein president Gerry Adams also thanked those that had wished Martin McGuinness well in light of his health problems.
"He is getting the very, very best of treatment and he and wife Bernie are buoyed by the support they have received," he told Dublin reporters earlier this week.
"It's clear that whatever anyone thinks of Sinn Fein or Martin McGuinness, there is a strong wish he gets better."
Belfast Telegraph Digital